Subscribe to Newsletter
Upload CV Sign up for Job Alerts

Search for Jobs

Click here to search for jobs


Do I need permission to take my child on holiday?

Share this on social media...

Do I need permission to take my child on holiday?

Happy Holidays

Ceri Thomas KBL
Ceri Thomas KBL

By Ceri Thomas – KBL Solicitors

Are you one of those super organised parents, who book a family holiday with at least 12 months to plan and save? Or are you more of a last minute booking parent, who is not too worried about the actual destination, so long as there is some sun and a kids club? Whichever holiday camp you fall into, if you are separated from your child’s other parent, the most important question to ask before making that booking should be “do you need permission from your ex-partner to take your child on holiday?”

The answer to the question is almost always a firm yes but there are some situations in which you may not require consent:-

• Consent to travel is required from anyone who shares parental responsibility for a child. Therefore, if only one parent has parental responsibility that parent can travel abroad with the child without permission from the other parent.

A child’s mother automatically has parental responsibility for a child she has given birth to. A child’s father or civil partner will also automatically acquire parental responsibility for a child, if they are married to or in a civil partnership with the child’s mother at the time the child is born. Since December 2003, if the child’s father is named on the child’s birth certificate he automatically shares parental responsibility with the child’s mother, regardless of whether the parents are married or not.

Parental Responsibility can be acquired by step parents if the child’s birth parents both agree. Similarly, other adults may also acquire Parental Responsibility by way of Court Order.

It is important to consider whether there is any other person who shares parental responsibility with you for your child before you take your child abroad. Where more than one person has parental responsibility for a child you will require their written consent to take your child abroad. If you travel without their consent you may be committing a criminal offence.

• The other exception is if you have been to Court previously and the Court has made a Child Arrangements Order which provides for the child to live with you.

The Family Court continues to deal with disputes between parents about where their child should live and what time they should spend with their other parent. At the conclusion of these proceedings the Court may make a Child Arrangements Order to regulate these arrangements. If this Order includes provision for a child to live with one parent (or other family member) then that parent is able to take their child abroad for up to 28 days without the permission of the other parent or the Court. If the order only deals with the arrangements for the child to spend time with the other parent (previously called “contact”) and does not specifically confirm who the child should live with (previously called “residence”) then permission would still be required.

If you do not have a Child Arrangements Order, which provides for your child to live with you, and you share parental responsibility for your child with someone else you will require permission from that person to travel abroad with your child. “Consent” ought to be provided in writing and should include the other parent’s contact details including, address and a contact telephone number. It is also worth checking with your travel agent whether there are any requirements which are specific to the country you intend to travel to, which might including travelling with the child’s birth certificate.

If your ex-partner is unwilling to provide consent to you taking your child abroad you should seek legal advice at the earliest opportunity. Whilst there are a number of options available to try to secure the consent of your ex-partner ultimately you will require a Court Order if they remain unwilling to agree. If there remains a dispute then it is possible to make an application to Court for a Specific Issue Order, which will allow the Court to make a decision as to whether or not you can travel abroad with your child. A copy of the Order will need to be taken with you on your trip.

A court application is not a speedy process and it cannot be expedited for the sake of an impending holiday. Therefore, it is important that you try to seek consent before you book your holiday. If the consent is withdrawn later down the line, closer to your holiday, you should seek urgent legal advice to avoid finding yourself in a situation where you are not able to go on holiday as you do not have the required permission, either from the other parent or the Court.

Emotions often run high after a separation and with the increase in terror attacks around the world the thought of a child travelling abroad without one parent can be a real concern. However, there are practical steps which may assist:

• Discuss plans for an overseas holiday as soon as possible, ideally before the holiday is booked.

• Agree to share holiday details such as flight information, any itinerary, and the name, phone number and address of the accommodation.

• Provide details of anyone else who will be joining the child on holiday.

• Make sure everyone has contact details for the child’s doctor.

• Provide details of your child’s medical insurance cover.

• Agree in advance the practical arrangements for the delivery of the child’s passport.

• Make sure there are arrangements agreed, before the trip, for your child to be able to maintain contact with their other parent whilst on the trip. Also consider whether it is appropriate to allow some additional contact before or after the holiday if there will be an interruption in the usual contact arrangements.

Regardless of the legal requirements it is usually better to try to discuss holiday arrangements without relying on the Court to make a decision. The earlier you begin to communicate about a proposed holiday the more options for resolution there are available to you.

At KBL Solicitors LLP our family law specialists have many years’ experience and advise in relation to all matters arising from a relationship, including forward planning prior to cohabitation or marriage such as pre-nups and cohabitation agreements, together with issues arising from relationship breakdown for married and unmarried couples. Our family law specialists are well equipped to deal with complex financial issues, including resolving finances post-separation, Children Act cases and protection from domestic abuse.

You can be assured of confidential, professional and personal advice on all matters relating to you and your family.

For further information and questions on taking your child/children abroad, parental responsibility and Child Arrangement Orders contact Solicitor, Ceri Thomas today for your free no obligation consultation on 01204 527777 or

MMB Magazine is packed full of helpful tips and resources perfect for working mums and dads.

Take a look at the latest issue here!

Share this on social media...

Sign up for Job Alerts

* Salary ranges based on full time hours earnings.

*mandatory fields

New Customer?

From here you will just upload a CV – no registration needed.

Upload CV

Upload CV

Log In